Welcome to SYEP with FOMP
Working with FOMP equips youth with values.
FOMP is excited and looks forward to partnering with summer youth participants looking to earn some income while learning new skills that can be applied to future jobs, being mentored and open to new ways of thinking about their future and their impact in the world. Youth within Community Board 7 will be given first preference. However, all youth applicants who select Friends of Mosholu Parkland will be considered regardless of where they reside in the Bronx. Average number of students that we work with is between 10 and 15 participants.
Projects essential to developing an ethic of environmental stewardship and civic responsibility.
- Repairing parkland walking paths
- Litter control and preserving parkland/playgrounds.
- Parkland and sidewalk tree care
- Working with soil, compost and mulch
- Growing food @ the Keepers House Edible Garden
- Garden maintenance
- Parkland Infrastructure upkeep and inventory
- Data collection helping with wildlife and land research
- Implementing activities that help build community resiliency
- Administrative tasks
- Paid training/education hours are done via videos remote
FOMP goals for SYEP:
- to increase the number of youth and community outreach.
- to help youth understand the need to be good stewards of the environment.
- to introduce youth to career opportunities in forestry, wildlife, community development.
- to help Youth develop positive work attitudes, work habits and behavior skills working with the environment.
- to share with Youth the experience of taking care of the environmental surroundings
- to provide Youth resources that help navigate their community participation.